Friday, March 15, 2013

I Just Love Politicians



If there are any politicians or wanna-be politicians out there, this is why we get irritated with you guys and ladies. I recently emailed my representative. He sits on a committee that is considering a piece of legislation that I am in favor of. It has the capacity to change things for the better IMO. So I write to him and say, “Hey, will you please support Bill 123 by pushing for it go to the floor for a vote? You could also co-sponsor it.” Then I outlined all the positives that I see in this legislation. So he (or probably a staffer) writes me back in less than 24 hours and says “Yeah, there’s a bill called Bill 123 out there about this. It’s in XYZ committee. I tell you what. If it comes to the floor for a vote, I’ll keep your thoughts in mind.” 

Um, way to be vague there. Way to be non-committal. So I write him back. “Hey, that’s nice. But *you* are in XYZ committee and could push for it go to for a vote. I didn’t elect you to sit passively and wait for good legislation and then think about it. Why don’t you cosponsor it? And if you have any concerns with the bill, I’d like to know what they are. Please tell me.”  I was civil. I was direct. And I really do want to know what his issues are with the bill. Obviously he must have some or he’d be pushing for it. I also found out that he promised, before he was elected, that he would cosponsor this bill once he got into the House. Uh huh.
Don’t get me wrong. If he got new information that made him rethink his position, I can understand that. And I’d like to hear it. Do you know what I’ve gotten in response to my second email? Crickets. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I was asking legitimate questions. And apparently because it doesn’t fit their nice little form letters, they’re not responding. 

Is it too much to ask for honest answers? Do they all just get there and decide they're going to do whatever they want? This is why people get up in arms and lose patience so quickly. We get lied to, we get the run-around, we get general crap from these people who are supposed to serve us. Over and over again.

So what am I going to do? Well, I plan to stay on my legislator about this and do all I can to push for this legislation. What's the particular bill? Well, I'll tell you in another post.  Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment